Current Time: February 19, 2018 06:52:39am Last Update: February 18, 2018 07:27:48am
Home|Forum|Conferences|Concepts|Research|TrueColour|Business Developemnt         
iWitness | Register | Login | Subscribe         

Business > Real Estate
Tudunwada Lugbe residents protest planned demolition by TCN
Addthis Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Gmail
By Victor Iluyemi
January 26, 2018 09:02:47am GMT      |      Views: 503
FCT

WorldStage Newsonline-- The residents of Tudunwada Lugbe in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have protested planned demolition of their houses by the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) without compensation for resettlement.

The residents said the Development Control of FCT was planning to demolish their houses on Jan. 29, without any resettlement plan in place.

Mr Steve Odiaka, the Community Chairman said the TCN came in 2016 to map out their community for Sub-station Development, a World Bank project and they agreed to relocate if compensated.

He said TCN had earlier valued their property for compensation, adding although most of the houses were undervalued, they still accepted the values placed on them.

He said the residents were protesting because the matter was pending in the Federal High Court and their compensation for resettlement was yet to be paid.

“We are protesting today because we are citizens of this country and they want to displace us and our families, TCN said they want to use our community for sub-station.

“A project by World Bank, which we accepted based on their plan to compensate us for resettlement and they eventually  mapped out our houses and brought the price for everyone’s house.

“Some residents’ four bedroom flat were valued for N600, 000, some schools with big compound and 10 classrooms were valued for N1 million and in spite of the poor valuation, we accepted.

“We were yet to be paid the compensation after we signed on those document in 2016, now Development Control officers came last week that they will start the demolition from next week Monday, that is why we are protesting.’’

Odiaka said they had been writing to the Minister of Power, Work and Housing, the management of TCN and FCT Minister, there had not been any response.

He said the children in the community had not been going  to school regularly because of uncertainty as when the demolitions would begin, and pleaded with the government to resolve the issue amicably.

The Managing Director of TCN, Mr Usman Mohammed, who was represented by Assistant General Manager, Security, Mr Ibrahim said the organisation was aware of the situation, adding that a meeting had been fixed for Jan. 30.

He said the organisation had also confirmed that the matter was genuine and was putting in place a plan to compensate those involved.

Addthis Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Gmail







Share |




ADVERTISEMENT



Related News
- January 26, 2018 09:02:47am GMT