WorldStage Newsonlin)-- The Federal Government of Nigeria said on Wednesday that it has put on hold the 30 -day ultimatum issued to all foreign airlines operating in Nigeria to dismantle their fare disparity within the West African Coast or face a ban from operating into the Nigerian airspace.
The ultimatum issued on March 26, by the ministry of aviation to all the affected airlines was expected to take effect today, but a statement signed by the media assistant to the aviation Minister, Joe Obi said the ultimatum had been put on hold following the development that had taken place between the very day the ultimatum was given and now.
According to the statement, consultations and negotiations had been held and ongoing between the Federal Government and home governments of the affected foreign airlines.
“Ever since a lot of developments have occurred. There have been consultations and negotiations between the Nigerian and British authorities with regard to the operations of BA and VAA. Negotiations involving other foreign Carriers has also been on-going,” he said
Specifically he said the intervention of the National Assembly on the issue which led to investigations been constituted on the allegations “is very much known to all and the Ministry would want to wait for the outcome of the reports of the Senate committee on Aviation before embarking on further action.
“But the most significant development since the issue broke out was the intervention of the House of Representatives and the Senate, given the high interest the question of fare imbalance generates across the country. Currently, the intervention /investigation of the Senate Committee on Aviation is still on-going. The first phase of that investigation was the Public Hearing where all interested/affected stakeholders made various representations to the Committee.
“While the Hon. Minister of Aviation, Princess Stella Adaeze Oduah insists that the regional fare imbalance must be dismantled, with severe consequences for all airlines that fail to comply, it is however imperative to allow the Senate investigation to take its full course. As a result, the proposed ban of all airlines that fail to restore fare parity has been put on hold in the interim in deference to the ongoing intervention effort of the Senate and the National Assembly.
“Action in this regard will be determined at the conclusion of the Senate investigation in order not to prejudice the outcome of the Committee Report as well as accord due respect and recognition to the current effort of the institution of the National Assembly at resolving the issues in the best interest of the nation.”