Leading Pan African reinsurance firm, Continental Reinsurance Plc has today announced the opening of submissions for its 2020 Pan African Re/Insurance Journalism Awards.
Now in its fifth year, the Journalism Awards target business journalists from Anglophone and Francophone countries in Africa and aims to recognize and acknowledge the good work of media on the continent. Interested candidates are invited to submit entries online from 2nd September to 30th November 2019 via https://www.continental-re.com/awards/
“There has been a great improvement in insurance news reporting since we established the awards. This is a key milestone for us, because it demonstrates renewed interest in telling the insurance story by African media. As Continental Re, we will continue building capacity of journalists through these awards and would like to encourage more journalists to participate this year,” noted Dr Femi Oyetunji, Group Managing Director, Continental Reinsurance Plc.
The 2020 edition has four Awards Categories, namely;
- Best Re/Insurance Print Article [English]
- Best Re/Insurance Broadcast (TV/Radio) Article [English]
- Best Re/Insurance Online Article [English]
- Best Re/Insurance French article [Print, Broadcast or Online]
The entries will be evaluated by an independent panel of judges who will select the 2020 winners to be announced at the annual Continental Re’s 7th CEO Summit to be held in March 2020, in Marrakech, Morocco. The overall winner [Pan African Journalist of the Year] will be chosen from the four categories.
The Awards Prizes include:
- All winners:
- A fully paid trip to attend the Awards Ceremony at the 7th Continental Re’s CEO summit in March 2020.
- Two-day training on insurance reporting during the Awards Ceremony and mentorship by Commercial Risk Africa (CRA) Magazine. Journalists will be issued with certificates upon completion of the training.
- Overall winner [Pan Africa Journalist
of the Year]:
- A cash prize of USD 2000.
- A full paid trip to attend CRA’s training in London, UK, including a one-week internship.
- Category winners:
- A cash prize of USD 1000 for the winner.
- A cash prize of USD 500 for 1st and 2nd runners up.
- Shortlisted candidates:
- Certificates of participation for the 2020 Journalism Awards.
Established in 2015, the Pan African Re/Insurance Journalism Awards is a Corporate Social Investment (CSI) initiative of Continental Reinsurance Plc. It aims to recognize and acknowledge the good work of media on the continent and promote insurance reporting. Participating business journalists are required to demonstrate how their articles raised awareness and understanding of the insurance sector in Africa.